Michigan Massage Licensing
All massage therapists are required to obtain a license from the State of Michigan. It is a criminal violation of the law to practice massage therapy without a board-issued license.
For our students, the school pays for their Massage Board Licensing Exam and their initial State Massage Licensing fee. Our students receive guidance in completing their Michigan licensing application, and we submit their forms to the State upon completion of the student’s program.
To obtain a Michigan state massage license, the following requirements must be met.
- Graduate from a State Approved School (minimum of 625 hours)
- Pass the Massage Board Licensing Exam (MBLEx)
- Submit a Massage Licensing Application form
- A Criminal Background Check
Michigan Massage License Renewal and Continuing Education Requirements
The following information is Irene’s Myomassology Institute’s best understanding of the Michigan Massage Licensing Board’s rules.
- Irene’s pays for our students’ initial (first one) Michigan Massage Therapy License when they graduate.
- Continuing Education (CE) is not required for license renewals of less than 3 years.
- Continuing Education (CE) is required for all 3 year license renewals.
- The CE requirement is 18 hours over 3 years.
- The license expiration year and date is printed on licenses.
- Renewal information is sent is emailed in advance of expiration. Snail mail will only be sent if the therapist specifically requests that in advance.
- It is your responsibility to keep your contact information with the State current. You must notify the State if you change your email address or move, etc..
- Of the required 18 CE hours, 1 hour must be in ethics and 1 hour must be in pain management.
- The 18 hours of CE must be completed during that 3-year renewal cycle. CE cannot be taken prior to renewal. Classes taken before that will not count towards CE.
- Massage schools/programs approved by the State for entry level education are approved to offer CE classes.
- CE providers can also be approved by the NCBTMB, FSMTB, or COMTA.
- CE hours cannot be carried from one renewal period to the next. If you complete extra hours in a 3-year cycle, you still must complete 18 hours for the next renewal.
- Do not submit CE proof with your license renewal. The State conducts random audits of renewals. Always keep your CE certificates for at least 4 years after renewal.
- No more than 12 CE hours can be completed in a 24-hour period.
- You cannot earn CE credit for the same class more than once.
- CE credit is not granted in any modality exempt from the massage license law. The list of exempt modalities that do not count for CE is: Feldenkras, Trager, Polarity, Asian Bodywork, Reiki, Shiatsu, Reflexology and Structural Integration.
Note – Irene’s Myomassology Institute always encourages our alumni to further their education, increase their knowledge and improve their skills. Irene’s philosophy was, “You’re always a student!” Contact the school at 248-350-1400, if you have questions.
You can find the application for Michigan Massage Licenses at this link.